28 July, 2006

Winding down

The Fringe is winding down, I'm into my last few shows, and the craziness is about to subside. It's been a crazy few days for sure!

Best of Fest was announced and Wallflowers tied for second place, but they gave it to King Cans b/c we have an 8 show run, and they have 7. That's understandable, however our houses have been steadily growing, while theirs have been shrinking (bad reviews apparently). But, that's OK, now at least I'll have a last minute chance to see some shows that I haven't had the opportunity to.

I haven't seen a single stinker this Fringe. Some shows have been better than others, defanitely more inspired, but nothing where I check my watch a million times wondering when the torture will end. I saw a great little show last night, Every time I see your Picture I Cry. Daniel Borrowman used an overhead projector to illustrate his story, it was so amazing. A very sad story of isolation, though, which was only helped by the fact that we only hear his voice. I also saw: JC, IS ; Teaching Shakespeare, La Dispute, Candy from a Baby, Flemenco Con Fusion 2, The Complete word of God, Abridged; Canned Hamlet, Ease, Bliss ... I think that's all for now. A few more to go, though!

My biggest beef with the Fringe: I think we're becoming too much like Edmonton. Re: You need to have a big show, with big reviews (and big laughs) in order to attract an audience. Anyone else feel this way? I know of so many people who went up to Primrose to say how "brave" she was to bring Wallflowers, which is so dark, to the Fringe. Where else could that show be produced? Isn't the fringe supposed to be about taking risks? I saw so many great, different shows this fringe with a small audience, that I hope they don't begin to get lost entirely. I hope that the Fringe won't become to catored for the audience, that it'll still be about pushing the mainstream, an opportunity for audiences to see something that they'd never see on the mainstage.

Alas, we found out yesterday that we will not be heading to Ontario after all. But I'm still so proud of Matthew - those Stratford people don't know what they're missing! It would have been nice to get out of this city for a bit, but we still have a lot of projects to do here, so I'm sure we won't be bored!

Finally, I received my Green Party membership card. I also got a form to sign up somebody new, so if you've ever wondered what the Green Party was actually about, go to their web-site and see. If you would like to become a member, let me know!!

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger MEL said...

Turns out we did get Best of Fest (b), there was an error, and our comp tickets or pre-sold tickets, or something, weren't counted. But, the announcement's been made, so no extra shwo for Wallflowers. Boo! It would have been fun to be part of a best of fest, maybe next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home