21 July, 2006

Bigger things

And it begins, another year of Fringing. Both Ducks and Wallflowers opened yesterday ... and they went off withoug a hitch. Well, that's a lie, there were little bobbles, but when you only get 2.75 hours to load in your set, set light levels and specials, run a Q-Q, dress rehearsal (if you're super lucky) and load out, a few bobbles on opening night are par for the course.

Seriously, it was a great day. We had a great crowd for Ducks, which suprised me. I've been weary coming into this Kid's show thing - "do people actually go to shows between noon and 3 in the afternoon?" We opened at 1:45, and the answer is yes!

Wallflowers, which had me up all night with dread of a possible failure on my part, felt amazing. I think we must have reached that point where we REALLY needed an audience. I'm not kidding when I say I was worried about it - I was WORRIED about it. Plus Prokosh predicted on the first day of the Fringe that we'd get Best of Fest, which is great, but talk about adding a little more pressure to the pile! Thankfully there were only about 30'ish people there, which is a good crowed and not as scary for an opening night. I'm not sure this play will get the Best of Fest. Yes, Primrose has won in 3 times before, but with much lighter shows. Last years Fat Tuesday was a comedy about an uptight girl heading off to Mardi Gras and discovering the liberation of beads, flashing, and cutting loose. Wallflowers deals with the complex issues around date rape. Flashing vs. date rape, very different genres. But it is a great show and I do hope that we get generous houses. I love that both shows I'm doing this year have such positive messages, that they actually mean something. It's a great thing. Plus I saw Brent's one-man, which was awesome (so proud of you Brent!) And I had my first evening of beer-tenting. It was a great day all around.

But I've felt like such an ass being so involved in Fringe prep and it's all consuming ways, while this horrible outbreak has started in the middle east. I mean, really, do reviews matter when people are suffering in Lebanon. I can't really take a side exactly in this one, although I'm most sympathetic to the Lebanese. Yes Israel has the right to defend itself, but they were clearly looking for the first opportunity they had to exert themselves as a military power over Hezbollah. I'm not going to pretend to be super knowledgeable about politics in the middle-east, but my feeling is that Israel will not get what it wants from this fight. They're just giving another generation of Lebanese and Palestinian children a reason to hate them, and they will reap what they sow. Yes, they will probably weaken Hezbollah for now, but by fostering hate they're fertilizing the soil for the next crop (I'm bad with metaphores). My conclusion: Israel has the right to defend itself, they have suffered greatly for generations. Should they not, then, by sympathetic to others who are suffering? Was there no other way to avoid this use of military force? Will they get what they want? Do they even know what they want?

We live in confusing times, with many shades of grey. I am going to enjoy this year's fringe, but my mind will always be putting things into perspective. Everyone involved in this year's Fringe has put in hours upon hours of work, and we deserve to enjoy ourselves, read reviews, see too many shows, drink too many beers. But in the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter. A bad review, a good show, it's all relative. We need to enjoy it, but know that we have a bigger purpose in this world, and bigger things to do with our lives.

4 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Art Hornbie said...

Israel is clearly abusing their significant power. It seems very American in flavour to me. Tomorrow I'm stating unequivocally my belief that Israel must now be astracized by the world's moral nations.

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Mel, I know we sort of discussed it in person, but I keep coming back here and I wanted to comment more. What else could Israel have done? Doing nothing, thereby basically abandoning its kidnapped soldiers, would destroy military and citizen morale. Paying ransom for the soldiers would encourage Hezbollah to kidnap more Israelis. Freeing convicted, unrepentant murderers in exchange for the soldiers would free them to murder more Israelis. I agree with you, this is just going to make things worse in the end, and promote antoher generation of hatred, but what would a better option have been? Also, Herb, the word is Ostracize. It's been bugging me every time I see your comment.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger MEL said...

I have that same question that you do: what could/should they have done? The reason I didn't put my 2 cents in the blog is that I know that I don't have enough knowledge about the relations of the 2 countries. Because I don't have that knowledge, I don't think I have the right to say.
But when it comes to all warring countries, where kids are just brought up to hate "the other" for a long history of wrongs, I think that all of the finger pointing essentially makes the issues meaningless. (I always go back to what I learned when was little - "whenever you point your finger at someone else, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you"). I think in these cases, some leader, SOMEWHERE has to step-up and end the cycle of violence.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it london fog mens leather coats blood pressure cuff ratings Li moving company Hubbastank running away http://www.howtoplaystreetcraps.info/Ps2_parental_control_codes.html xxx sleeping teens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home