24 May, 2006

Democracy, books, and the cost of tickets

I just received notice of a petition that addresses the unfairness in the Torie budget in regards to parents who choose to put their kids in organized sports receiving a tax break, while no such tax break supports parents who choose to put their kids in the arts. If you click on the link below, you can read and sign an online petition to the federal government requesting that it reconsider its budget provision giving a tax break to parents who put their children in organized sports (hockey, soccer), but giving nothing to parents who choose to develop their children's intellectual and artistic talents (art, music, dance, drama). I feel that both are equally important, and I hope that you agree! I'd have put a cool "link" in this post, but blogger seems to be doing some weird stuff with my links lately (mainly deleting everything in my post around the link - yeah, that's never good). So, here's the address. Cut and paste it into your browser and TA DA, it's like magic! http://www.petitiononline.com/dbs201bl/petition.html

Who read about the whole OlyWest council vote today in the Free Press? For those who don't know, OlyWest wants to build a massive slaugher house (ah hem, I mean "processing plant") here in Winnipeg, between St. Boniface and Transcona. The city approved the plant without ever counsulting with home owners in the area. This lack of a voice, needless to say, massively pissed off home and business owners in the area, as the stench will not only diminish their quality of life, but also lower their property values. Also, waste from the plant threatens the water supply.

Yesterday was the vote. Protesters showed up early with plenty to say, but were "out-manouvered for seats in the gallery" wrote the Free Press' Gordon Sinclair. "It was a scene that reeked of symbolism. They arrived early, the 150 or so homeowners and business operators who represented the people who stand to be most affected by the 9, 000 pigs that would be trucked to the St. Boniface Industrial Park every day ... Somehow 'the winners' had managed to all but monopolize the gallery, proudly wearing their crisp white OlyWest aprons like placards until they were asked to remove them. 'The losers', meanwhile, were literally left on the outside lookin in, sperarated by glass and huge brass bars" (A5). Are we still in Canada? Do we still have a democracy that stands up for THE PEOPLE? I very much agree that it seems that Mayor Sam Katz is "open for business."

I'm in the middle of rereading Fall On Your Knees by Anne Marie MacDonald (the same woman who penned Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)). I very much recommend this book to everyone. It's a page turner set on the east coast in the early 1900's. It takes place over 3 generations through the lives of the remarkable Piper girls.

I need to find something new to read. I'm on the waiting list at the library for The Kite Runner, Night, and Shake Hands with the Devil, but I'm not sure when I'll get my hands on them. I am constantly reading plays, which I love, but everyone needs a good novel to keep them going. If you have any "must read" recommendations, pass them on! Did you know that in Sweden, 80% of the people use the public library, while in Canada only 40% do? Break out those library cards everyone!

Tomorrow Matt and I are off to see Derek in Dry Cold's production of Assasins. Regular tickets are $25! What is up with that? Well, student price is $15, but still! A disturbing trend, as I also paid $25 each for A Midsummer Nights Dream. Not that I don't think both shows are worth it (dude, I bought the tickets). I just think it's getting a little pricey to go see theatre in this town. At least the Fringe is coming up soon! Tons of shows for less than $8 per ticket! That's what I like to see!