06 March, 2006

Ready to think?

From Rwanda to Darfur: The Failure of Humanity.

On Thursday, March 9 @ 7pm, Romeo Dallaire will be speaking at the University of Winnipeg. I encourage everyone to try to make it out to hear him speak. I've seen many television interviews with him on his work in Rwanda during the genocide, and his plight to get aid into the devistated country. He is truely an amanzing human being, and he will open your eyes to the world around you. Just go to the UofW's homepage for all the details, as well as dates and times for associated workshops!

I had the CRAZIEST shift ever on Saturday. I run the Y's Saturday swimming lesson program, which means I am responcible for managing the lessons, teachers, permanent records and all of the testing. But aside from that, I lifeguard the rest of the pool. It's usually no problem, I'm pretty organized. But this Saturday, the shit hit the fan. Here's an abreviated list:

  • 1 teacher had to leave early (I had to juggle the teachers and classes to compensate).

  • 3 teachers showed up late (grr)

  • 1 women passed out in the showers (we're the first-responders in the building, so guess who had to deal with that? ME! P.S. if you go tanning in the morning, then go from the steam room, to the hot tub, then back to the steam room WITHOUT EATING OR DRINKING you're being nasty to your body and your body will not like it!!!)

  • 1 man lost his key swimming and was freaking out b/c he had $350 CASH in his locker (who does that? P.S. that's why the lifeguards carry pins - pin your key to your shorts, don't just put it in your pocket!)

  • 1 woman was distraught after a man tsk'd her and then told her that "you people should really shower before you go in the hot tub" (re: the woman was african, and the man is an A-rate JERK who I have fought with on numerous occasions. I now have a full-proof incident report with his name and her name and HOPEFULLY he will finally lose his membership or at least get a huge ball-twist from the general manager).

  • In between the crazy incidents the pool was wicked busy for some reason and AHHH one of the mother's was following me around telling me that "the hot tub needs spray" "there's a hair clump on the deck" and - get this - "there are TOO MANY volunteers in the pool with the classes" (yeah, I really want to discourage volunteers woman - get real!)

Thankfully, after my shift was over, I had the chance to go to the gym and run like a mad fool, and then go to MTYP to see Frog and His Friends, a great Danish show touring through. I love children's theatre, and am so excited for The Elfin Knight! Oh! And I'll be playing Dromio of Syracuse in Comedy of Errors! So excited - I get to be Rod's side-kick! I totally expected to be one of the sisters and didn't see it coming - now it's time to get to work creating the best season ever!

I almost forgot, the reason for said post title. Going into the Oscars on Sunday after showing all of the clips for the fims nominated as Best Picture, the ABC host comented that this year "America seems ready to think." I just thought it was funny. But I'm very glad that CRASH won, it deals with the many angles of racism and fear in America (and around the world) and I think everyone should see it!

5 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danish? DANISH???
THAT SHOW WAS DUTCH! DUTCH!!!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Rod Beilfuss said...

Hey "my man"?! ;)

Cheers
rod

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Ooknabah said...

I like to imagine that Matt wrote that while you were on the other side of the room. I just think that would be hilarious.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Bobby bare singin in the kitchen lyrics Opinions on air purifiers Red convertible by lisa erdrich interior design living picture room Blue tooth gps car antenne fiat punto 3 lawyer oxycontin http://www.buyvaliumonline1.info/ambien_doral.html fiat stilo 1 2 http://www.gates-for-driveway-michigan.info/Professional-business-card-template.html waterbed service Injectable high blood pressure medicines Christmas incredimail stationery Short term health insurance tennessee Best best phendimetrazine online Relief for eczema Accutane diary5c27s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home