17 February, 2006

The Olympics and being Canadian

The Olympics have bound me to CBC television. Luckily, when I came down with a nasty case of the stomach flu on Wednesday, I was able to curl up on the couch, down some Tylenol Ultra, and watch as amateur athletes from around the world came together in the prasuit for the podium and personal bests. But there is always that conflict for Canadian athletes. They have to perform on the day, seem confident but not cocky, disappointed if they don't perform well while not being too pissed at themselves because it is the Olympics and it is just an honour to be there, but they shouldn't just be happy to show up, they should want to be the best without being unCanadian (aka cocky). Yeah, it's a weird dynamic to be a Canadian athlete indeed. Overall, I'm very pround of our team this year. Most of the medal favourites are peaking and adding to the meadal count, many underdogs are stepping up, and things are looking good for Vancouver 2010! And we're still undefeated in women's hockey. I don't care how unCanadian it is for me to say it, but our women's hockey team fucking DOMINATES. Woot!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home