17 December, 2005

Home for the Holidays

Tis the season ... to go back home for the holidays. Oh, the joy. I'm very much looking forward to it, but at the same time, it sometimes feels like I'm taking 3 steps back, you know? It's such a weird dynamic: we're raised by our families, then we enter into the world and create our own family of friends/jobs/interests, but once a year we have to go back to where it all began. I'm writing a play right now dealing with growing up in rural Manitoba (or any rural community) and then moving away. It's such a weird dynamic - the concept of "home". If anyone has any insights, let me know. I might incorporate them into my work (so they better not by copyrighted!) On this, my last post before Christmas, I would like to encourage everyone to not get caught up in the consumerism of the season. Christmas is truely a time to relax with family and friends, not a time to question if you spent enough (or too much!) on gifts. Don't get caught up in the "buy buy buy!" ploy of retailers - a homemade or touchingly thoughtful gift goes a long way! AND don't forget to recycle that wrapping paper!!! Happy Holidays!